Sunday, August 26, 2007

Week 9, Thing #20

I didn't realize that there were so many video services. I was really only familiar with YouTube.

I looked at YouTube and watched the four suggested videos. I had seen three of the four videos. They were videos that I had received multiple times by e-mail. I had not seen the fourth one, Library 2.0 Manifesto. I thought that it was the best, but as I watched it, I knew why I had never seen it.

I did a search for information literacy on YouTube, Yahoo Videos, Google Videos and TeacherTube. I found many of the same videos on all four. I liked Google Videos best. YouTube seemed to have lots of pop-ups. Yahoo Videos had the same video listed several times and TeacherTube didn't provide as many videos.

I chose two videos on information literacy that I wanted to share with my librarians. The first was a video for use with teachers and librarians, Be CyberSmart! Researching the Internet Wisely-Google Video. It was a good overview of the research process.

The second one was Discover Information Literacy. I liked it because the word discover was used to describe the research process. There were also two wonderful quotes in the video. The first was from Galileo, "You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him discover it in himself." The second quote was from Mark Van Doren, "The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery."

I really liked What Is Information Literacy? and had hoped to use it with our students until I realized it was a video made especially for Otis College. We have discussed the possibility of creating videos to teach our students how to use our OPACs and databases. This video was an excellent example of doing just that.

No comments: