Monday, August 13, 2007

Week 6, Thing #13

I looked at Technorati and added my Technorati Favorites to my Google Reader. I'm trying to get everything in one central location. My Google Reader seems to be that location.

Then I looked at Library Thing and updated my profile. I did some tag searches and a tagmash. I wasn't pleased with the result of the tagmash. I got books that I felt shouldn't have been included. They didn't seem to fit the criteria. I found it interesting that more people used signed rather than autographed.

I viewed the del.icio.us tutorial. It was excellent. I particularly liked the idea of a shared reading list. This is something that I would like to use with my librarians. The SJLibraryLearning2 account had lots of wonderful information. I added it to my Google Reader and felt very confortable doing it. I also added the LibraryThing to my Google Reader. My only question is when am I going to find time to do all of this reading.

I looked at the del.icio.us site options. I clicked on a bookmark, checked the comments and looked at the tags. I understand the principle, but I'm still not sure that I have a good grasp of everything that I can do with my del.icio.us account. When I looked at the tag heading "del.icio.us" I found a wonderful article. Later I realized that it is one of the Discovery Resources.

Del.icio.us is a wonderful tool to help teachers and librarians organize their websites. These lists could then be used to direct students to sites that they could use in their research. Students could also create their own lists as they do research.

I was feeling more confident about this tool, but was having a problem actually using it. My del.icio.us buttons appeared on my Internet Explorer toolbar, but they do not appear on my Yahoo toolbar. Not being one to give up, I finally did it. I changed Internet Explorer to my default and I was in business.

It's amazing how simple it is when everything is working correctly. I can see that I am going to really like using my del.icio.us buttons. My big question now is do I go back and add all of the sites I have saved in an Excel document to my del.icio.us account.

No comments: