Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Week 7, Thing #16

I looked at the examples of wikis. I liked the Book Lovers Wiki. That is a site that I would use. I learned a new term, Chic Lit, and got a couple of titles that I thought I might want to read. I found a wonderful list of library blogs on Blogging Libraries Wiki. I thought this would be a great resource as we begin to blog in our district.

I really liked the looks of teacherlibrarianwiki. I knew that I would find lots of wonderful information once I saw Joyce Valenza's name. I heard her at NECC in June and was very impressed. Her wiki was equally impressive.

Miller's Lit Circles Wiki Project looked more like a blog than a wiki to me. It had a blog and then feedback or comments like a blog. This brings me to one of the problems that I see with wikis. I think that a wiki would be a wonderful way for students to collaborate on a project, but I don't understand how a teacher would insure that someone doesn't tamper with a student's project. I'm not clear about how a teacher monitors the wiki so that a student's work is not edited or deleted before it is graded.

Both Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki and PBWiki looked easy to use. PBWiki had an excellent video and an extensive training section. Automatic revision tracking was listed as a feature. I assume that this is how a teacher would insure that a student's work was not changed before it was graded. I also noticed that it was possible to lock a page so that it could not be edited. This might be a way that a student could protect a finished product until it was graded.

I really liked Library Instruction wiki. I found several things that I wanted to share with my librarians on the Library Instruction Resources page . One was Library 2.0 in 15 minutes a day. I also found several web evaluation activities at Teaching Techniques, Tips, and Tricks.

No comments: